Entries are now being considered for the 2013 Sydney Taylor Book Award, which recognizes the best children’s literature of Jewish content. Publishers are invited to submit any books of Jewish content for children and teens with a 2012 copyright.
The criteria used to evaluate books for the Sydney Taylor Book Award are:
· The book has literary merit.
· The book has positive or authentic Jewish religious or cultural content.
· The book is appropriate for the intended grade level in style, vocabulary, format,and illustration.
· Whether fiction or nonfiction, the book is solidly rooted in authentic and accurate detail, through scholarship and research by the author.
· Textbooks and reprints are not eligible, although revised editions and re-illustrated editions are eligible.
In order to be considered, a review copy of each title must be sent to each member of the Sydney Taylor Book Award Committee. No application form is necessary; simply mail the books in a package labeled “Sydney Taylor Book Award Submission.” By submitting a title to the committee you are granting permission to use the book jacket image in any Sydney Taylor Book Award promotional materials.
The Awards will be announced in January 2013. To ensure that the Committee has enough time to evaluate all of the submissions, there is no guarantee that books received after December 1, 2012 will be considered for the awards. Please send submissions as soon as they are available. The Committee is happy to receive a prepublication version while waiting for the bound book.
The Sydney Taylor Book Award Committee looks forward to evaluating your new books! For additional information and a commitee roster, contact: Aimee Lurie at firstname.lastname@example.org.